Previously, I was a Visiting Researcher in the Human-Computer Interaction Institute at Carnegie Mellon University, and a Senior Researcher and Lecturer at the Department of Computer Science at ETH Zurich.
Research at the University of Michigan (2016-)
Please find out more on the Information Interaction Lab web site.
Below are some first prototypes from our first semester of research so far:
- XD-AR: an augmented reality platform that we are developing for multi-user multi-device augmented reality experiences that allow users to "edit" the physical world in realtime
- 3D Lab: virtual and physical 3D models of our lab environment that we are using to design new forms of natural user interfaces and cross-device interactions for both users in the lab and users participating remotely
- Surface Pad: initially conceived as a sketching interface that can work with new kinds of input devices, we are currently exploring how the interface can be extended to easily import and blend content from the digital and physical worlds
Research at Carnegie Mellon University (2015-2016)
Using my Swiss NSF mobility grant at CMU, I investigated ways of orchestrating multiple devices and crowds to enable complex information seeking, sensemaking and productivity tasks on small mobile and wearable devices. I also contributed to the Google IoT project led by CMU. This work led to three papers at ACM CHI 2016:
- WearWrite: a wearable interface enabling smartwatch users to orchestrate crowd workers on more powerful devices to complete writing tasks on their behalf (CHI'16 paper, CHI'16 talk, UIST'15 demo, tech report on arXiv)
- XDBrowser: a new cross-device web browser that I used to elicit 144 multi-device web page designs for five popular web interfaces leading to seven cross-device web page design patterns (CHI'16 paper, CHI'16 talk)
- Snap-To-It: a mobile app allowing users to opportunistically interact with appliances in multi-device environments simply by taking a picture of them (CHI'16 paper)
Research at ETH Zurich (2009-2015)
For the full list of publications, please check Google Scholar and DBLP.
Go to top
Visit my research lab!
Visit the MISC research group!
News and Events
October My proposal for a U-M Teach-Out around the past, present, and future of AR interfaces was accepted. Looking forward to producing it over the next few weeks! I was also on the PhD thesis committee of Maria Husmann at ETH Zurich. Excellent cross-device research!
September In a great team effort, my lab submitted six papers to CHI 2018. Thanks everyone! Here's a showreel of our summer research. I'm very proud of this work with my students.
August Became a Co-PI in a Lenovo sponsored project around AR interfaces.
June Getting ready for my four summer interns. And, back on the CHI Engineering PC for 2018. Looking forward to your submissions!
May CHI 2017 in Denver with Max, Brian, and former CMU colleague, Nikola Banovic. LOL! Presented XDBrowser 2.0 and my #HCI.Tools position paper on Playing the Tricky Game of Toolkits Research.
March/April Max Speicher joining my lab as Research Fellow, Brian Hall as PhD Student, and Erin McAweeney as REMS Fellow. Exciting! Also won an ESSI grant!
February Invited to the #HCI.Tools workshop at CHI for my position paper Playing the Tricky Game of Toolkits Research.
January Teaching SI 582 Intro to Interaction Design this spring.
December XDBrowser 2.0 accepted to CHI'17.
November Giving XDUI tutorial and attending RoomAlive toolkit tutorial at ISS'16. Meeting my former ETH Zurich colleagues Fabrice Matulic and Maria Husmann. A lot of fun!
September Starting as Assistant Professor at UMSI. Setting up the Information Interaction Lab. Teaching SI 482 Interaction Design Studio. A first!
August Wrapping up my Swiss NSF Advanced.Postdoc Mobility fellowship at CMU. Had a great time. Many new friends for life. Thanks for the support!
June Organizing the EICS'16 XDUI workshop (proposal). XDUI tutorial accepted to ISS'16.
May Accepted Assistant Professor position at UMSI. Attended CHI'16 in San Jose, CA. Participated in microproductivity and cross-surface workshops. Led Systems@CHI lunch. Chaired end-user programming session. Presented WearWrite (video) and XDBrowser (video).
January-May Invited talks at TU Munich, Yale, Virginia Tech, Indiana-Purdue, UMSI, UW CSE (video), Adobe Research, and Google.
April Joined HCOMP'16 PC.
March Bluewave accepted to EICS'16.
January Accepted to CHI'16 microproductivity and cross-surface workshops.
December Attended CHI'16 PC meeting in San Jose, CA. Three papers accepted: WearWrite, XDBrowser, Snap-To-It. Also received a new Swiss NSF research grant.
November Attended UIST'15 in Charlotte, NC. Presented WearWrite demo.
October Joined EICS'16 PC.
August WearWrite demo accepted to UIST'15. Joined IUI'16 and AVI'16 PCs.
July Published WearWrite tech report.
June Co-chaired EICS'15 and co-organized XDUI workshop. Joined CHI'16 PC.
May Attended CHI'15. Received Honorable Mention for MUBox. Participated in mobile collocated interactions workshop and presented my SNSF project. Chaired session on multi-device interaction.
March Kinect Analysis and XDSession accepted to EICS'15.
February Started working at CMU HCII.
You can reach me by email via email@example.com.
If you are interested in my work, please feel free to follow me on Twitter @michinebeling.